2 days prior to his arrival, via Whatsapp
Him: Hey, I dun’t have 3G roaming, won’t be able to get on Whatsapp when I get there, whats your CN no.?
DC: its 186-2102-4921. But I can’t make long distance calls on my cell. You can call me via my HK no., it’ll be diverted to my CN phone. And gimme your hotel number so I can call you when you arrive.
1 day prior to his arrival, via MSN
Him: Hey, I “DM-ed” you my hotel number on Twitter. You got it?
DC: my VPN is quite dead. I have to go, leave me an offline msg with your hotel number again pls
2 hours prior to his arrival, via Skype (Skype to SMS service)
DC: hey, my friends are going to Prive tonight. Here’s the address:
外灘中山東一路6號4 (近廣東路)
1 hour prior to his arrival, via SMS
DC: have you landed? by the way, pls do not reply to the number shown in my previous text with Prive’s address, I sent it via Skype.
Him: Heading to the hotel now. What address? I didn’t get that SMS.
An hour later, via SMS
Him: I’m here. Where r you?
DC: call my HK number!
And finally, we met up.
This whole painful chain dialogues somehow reminded me of a few lines from Drew Barrymore in “He’s just not that into you”. And I couldn’t stop laughing every time I think about it. Yes, it is this painful to stay in touch with friends from where I am, for me anyway.
Mary: I had this guy leave me a voicemail at work, so I called him at home, and then he emailed me to my BlackBerry, and so I texted to his cell, and now you just have to go around checking all these different portals just to get rejected by seven different technologies. It's exhausting.






